Salta Champ version 1.0 is available in the usual place. Most of the changes have been pretty well blogged (splash screen with message-of-the-day, better AI time management). In addition, pathfinding behavior in the late game should be better now, in particular with the AI retaining limited minimax ability in this stage, using forced jumps to get obstructing pieces out of its way.
Rolling Control is my team’s game from the Fall 2011 Boston Cardboard Game Jam. It’s a sort of dexterity/drafting/category dice game, with a commerce theme. Meaning what? Continue reading Rolling Control
As I mentioned yesterday, one of the weaknesses of a work-to-schedule AI approach, with an exponentially growing search space, is that you can easily spend most of your time on an analysis that never ends up getting used. After all, if at each search depth you take more time than all of the previous depths put together, there’s no point starting a search in the whole second half of your allotted time. Continue reading Satisfaction Part 2
Getting my Salta AI now running in its own thread was the last major roadblock to having a presentable software project. And, while there’s a lot of stuff I’m still interested in doing, I’ve shipped way too many projects to imagine that I’ll ever consider it 100% done. After all, why should this be the first? Continue reading Message of the Day
Version 0.5.0 of my Salta project (currently calling itself Salta Champ because the old name was kind of like calling a Chess program just Chess) has been posted. What’s new: Continue reading Version 0.5 is Up
Yesterday, at long last, I put my AI into its own separate thread. It all went very smoothly, but then again I’d been thinking for a while before I started typing. Typing is never the hard part. Continue reading Plates are now Spinning
Today’s project was finishing graphic design for Rolling Control, the game my team made at the Fall 2011 Cardboard Game Jam. I just want to say for the record that drawing railroad junctions is a pain in the rump.
Railroad track? No problem. Good tools exist for taking a repeating pattern and laying it along whatever curve you want (I used mostly Inkscape for the Rolling Control components). The problem is, at a junction, you can’t just overlay one track on the other, because you end up with railroad ties stacked on top of other railroad ties, which looks (A) fake and (B) busy. So it’s off to the Web to see how those things are really put together.
Luckily, there’s a fair amount of symmetry in the Rolling Control board (even after the asymmetries I threw in to avoid 3-way railroad junctions). So I did just portions of the board before mirror-imaging and rotating copies my labor intensive junctions into place.
I may be in a perfectionist frenzy, but I’m no hero.
I’ll save the detailed report-out on the Fall 2011 Boston Cardboard Jam for after I’ve posted the game materials themselves. I volunteered to act as scribe, so I’ll be sending that stuff to the organizers later this week, and I’ll link here.
The short summary is that we focused mainly on graphic design and thematic hooks to make the game easier for players to understand. We went with a commerce theme, which did a pretty good job of providing a scaffold to hang the game concepts on.
If you’re interested in following up further, the Flickr stream of the event is up, as is the Ustream video of the final presentations. Our project starts at the 20 minute mark.
I spent the whole day yesterday at the Fall 2011 Cardboard Jam. The theme for the jam is “Occupy,” whatever that word suggests to you.
I ended up joining a team with Jonathan Venezian and Ed Su. We interpreted the theme mechanically, taking cues from games (say, Acquire) where a stream of game pieces occupies the board, with play based on the structures that form. That served as the back end to a neat idea Jonathan wanted to work with in the dice/dexterity game area.
Overall, it’s going well. We had something playable quickly, and gravitated to a fairly simple but sound game (“simple” being the order of the day if you want to get in a lot of plays in the game jam format). By dinnertime the game was in fairly good shape, and we were all mentally exhausted. So we broke there.
The event starts up again bright and early this morning, and here I am up even earlier. Did I mention “exhausted?” Well, early to bed, early to rise.
Version 0.4.0 of my Salta project has been posted. The first thing you’ll notice is an actual installer. Other notes:
- The game now autosaves on exit (unless it’s in a Game Over state)
- Sound! Only a few, but it’s a big difference.
- The button array was getting crowded, so now there’s a separate menu screen for things that don’t need to be quite so accessible from in-game
- Added “New Game” button, now that (because of autosave) you can’t start a new game any other way
- Various AI changes, generally making it a bit smarter.
- Game detects when either side is left with only disadvantageous jumps to choose from, and plays a somewhat applause-like sound in congratulations
- Changed the way the Undo buffer works. You can no longer undo an entire game, but you can still undo plenty.
- Implemented final scoring! It’s not particularly explained, but after the end of regular play, any side that doesn’t have all its pieces parked yet has to count the moves required to do so, taking that number as a (penalty) score.